The War On Drugs Statistics
- In 1980, 40,000 people were incarcerated on drug related charges. Today, it’s over 500,000 people accounting for a total inmate population of 2,300,000
- It costs over $25,000 per year to pay for a prison inmate. That accounts for $34.5 million per day to support drug charge related inmates.
- The United States spends $754.00 per second to fight the war on drugs. Since 1971 we have spent over a trillion dollars.
- The number of illegal drug users worldwide is 28 times the population of New York City accounting for 230,000,000 people worldwide.
- The cocaine market is estimated at $88,000,000,000 and is 3.5 times the revenue of the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL
- In the United States, people snort 149 lines of cocaine per second
- Americans consume 22 tons of heroin per year.
- The heroin market is estimated at $55,000,000,000 per year
- 68% of the guns seized at drug crime scenes come from the United States
- A coke user with a $75 a day habit can save over $250,000 in 10 years
- A heroin user with a $50 a day habit can save over $180,000 in 10 years
- There are over 10,000 addiction center in the United States to help you. Recovery First is one of them.