ddiction is a common disease. In 2013, approximately 23 million Americans aged 12 and older needed some kind of treatment for issues related to drug or alcohol use or abuse.  In addition, about one in four adults in the United States will suffer from some form of mental illness in a given year.
Substance abuse, addiction, and mental illness are all considered mental and behavioral health issues, and they often occur simultaneously. Between 2009 and 2013, approximately 880,000 Floridians received treatment for any mental illness (AMI), which was only 36.3 percent of those who needed treatment, leaving a further 63.7 percent without treatment that may have helped them during that time.
There may be several perceived barriers to treatment, from cost to health insurance to just not knowing where and how to get help. Within the state of Florida, there are many different forms of substance abuse, addiction, and mental health treatment options that can be tailored to the specific requirements of each individual. Help is within reach.
Types of Behavioral Health Services Offered within Florida
Substance Abuse and Mental Health (SAMH) program operates within the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF). It is federally designated as the state authority on substance abuse and mental health, and any issues relating to either or both. The SAMH program helps to treat individuals battling mental illness, addiction, or substance abuse, and it oversees the state system. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) lists 226 substance abuse and mental health facilities around the state. In addition to state-funded and public substance abuse programs, there are several private addiction treatment centers to choose from as well.n Florida, the
High Drug Overdose Fatality Rates in Florida
 What may be particularly concerning is that the mortality rate for drug overdoses is higher in the state of Florida than the national average. In 2013, Florida was found to have the 11th highest mortality rate for drug overdoses in the United States. There were 16.4 deaths per 100,000 people in 2013 in the state. Over 4,000 people died with drugs in their system in Florida in the first six months of 2014.ationally, about 8 percent of Americans admit to using an illicit drug in the past month, and in Florida, rates are about the same.